Point Vicente Lighthouse
The Point Vicente Lighthouse stands on the most southwesterly point of the Palos Verdes Peninsula on the Pacific coast of California. It is sited at the north end of the Catalina channel. In the above photograph, the ridges of the Channel Islands can be seen above the distant horizon.
When in operation since 1926, the lighthouse’s 1,000 watt light bulb, in combination with the 5 foot lens, could be seen for 20 miles. For a short period during World War II, a 25 watt bulb was used, so it would not be helpful as a navigation aid for enemy ships. After the war (and a return to the 1,000 watt bulb), the glare of the rotating bean became a hazard to motorists on Palos Verdes Drive and an endless disturbance to local residents, so the landward side glass was painted white. The light is still in operation as a navigation aid.