A Further Development

After yesterday’s development debacle (see An Operator Problem), I hung the ruined 120 film strip on a line in the garage, then went in the house to check my email and have a cup of tea. There was nothing of much interest in my Inbox.

Within a couple minutes the temperature of the tea had fallen just below lip burning and I began to sip at it and check some of my favorite Web sites when the phone rang.

It was Mike Harmon calling. He had missed the stream of email messages that changed a group ride date from June 17th to June 24th, and was at the meeting point where we frequently start rides.


“Hey, since you’re in town, stop over here. I’ve got something to show you that’ll make you laugh at me.” I said.

 When he arrived, we talked about my obvious screw-up with the 120 film for a few minutes, then decided to ride up to Anza Narrows to make some photographs with the Yashica Mat 124. I wanted to try another roll with the Mat and Mike’s bike, a Harley Davidson Sportster Roadster, was cleaner than I’d seen it in a while due to a recent wax job.

I thought it would make a good subject for some black and white photos with the park’s trees in the background. We tried a few different angles and viewpoints and shot a single roll of 120. It was something different to do. Taking turns looking through the mirror-image viewfinder, we collaborated on the framing of the photos and set the camera up guided by the Sunny 16 rule for exposure.

Later, after sundown, I shut off the house lights, closed the office shutters and door, sat down on the floor of the closet and shut the closet doors to achieve total darkness. I then threaded the film shot earlier onto a developing reel, then assembled the light-tight Paterson developing tank around the loaded reel.

This morning rose up foreshadowing the coming heat of the day, so I checked the temperatures of the chemicals in the cooler in the garage. I’ve kept them in an ice chest for a couple days, because I don’t want to store them in the refrigerator in the house (I should get a small ‘fridge for the garage. Soon.). With a ziplock bag containing the contents of two ice cube trays, the chemicals stay cool, but their temperature starts to climb into the high seventies (Fahrenheit) by 7:30 am. The developer measured 77 F, so I developed the film right after I took the temperature reading. After developing, stopping, and fixing, then rinsing for 25 minutes under running water, I pulled the film from the reel. 

Examples of my results are shown in this post. The process is more satisfying when you use the right amount of chemicals…   

Advertisements